Making Plaster slab

Ordinary pieces can become quite extraordinary when we add texture in them! The most common way to make texture is by impressing various objects into the clay. One of the ways is by using plaster slabs and carving patterns on to it. 

 

I started by joining four pieces of wood into a rectangle frame and reinforce and connect the joints with clay into the sides and edges. Place the frame in the middle of a clean sheet of glass.  



Measure the water first when mixing, and put it in a plastic bucket . I Sprinkle the plaster lightly and slowly into the water to prevent it from clumping (for me its always messy this part lol).  Stir the mixture by hand. The stirring should be done in such a way as to agitate the mixture and drive out air bubbles. It´s important to not whip or whisk the mixture. The point is to get  the air out, not in. A good method of stirring is to put the hand, palm upward, on the bottom of the pail and wiggle the fingers vigorously. I Continue to mix for two or three minutes until i felt the  plaster  begin to thicken. 


On the table with an absolutely level surface, I pour the plaster evenly into the frame so that when the plaster flows it will make a layer of even thickness. Then I bump the table vigorously immediately after pouring to get the plaster to flow into all the corners of the mold and for air bubbles rise to the surface. I let it set for 30m/1h. After that I safely remove the wooden frame and lift up the slab. It’s now ready for carving

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Copyright 2015 Andreia Rodrigues